If you have been considering upgrading your sleeping comfort by upgrading to a queen size memory foam mattress you are in for a treat. But with so many choices on the market right now, how do you make the right for you? Choosing the perfect mattress can help you sleep better at night but choosing one that is not right can be a costly mistake.
Here are 6 things to consider so you will always choose the best memory foam mattress for your queen-sized bed, plus 5 brands you can buy online today and have them delivered to your doorstep.
What is a Queen Size Bed?
A queen size bed is the most popular mattress choice in the US. As the ‘not too big, not to small’ choice that fits most master bedrooms and does not take up as much floor space – or eat away at your bank account – as a king size bed does, it is pretty easy to see why.
In terms of actual size, a standard queen size bed in the US measures 60 ” x 80″. When it comes to queen mattresses the depth varies, but the dimensions usually stay the same, although you will, if measuring up a bedroom for a bed size upgrade, need to allow a few extra inches for a bed frame or platform into the equation.
A queen bed is great for couples who like some extra sleeping room, as there is plenty. As a twin bed measures 38” x 75” sleeping in a queen bed allows each partner almost their own twin size bed in terms of space! A queen is not quite as expansive as a king – which measures in at 76” x 80”, but it is an upgrade on a standard full bed, which, in the US is a standard 53” x 75”.
Top 5 Queen-Sized Memory Foam Mattress
As mentioned earlier, there are a lot of choices available if you are shopping for a queen size mattress. That is why, before you start shopping in earnest, we thought we would offer you a look at some of the best queen size mattress choices.
Best Overall: Nectar Sleep
The 11″ tall Nectar Sleep queen sized mattress offers five different layers of sleeping comfort, including three different layers of adaptive memory foam designed to give everyone who chooses it a personalized level of support. On top there is the eco-friendly Tencel top layer which is soft and cushiony. It’s also great for couples because it absorbs movement and bounce particularly well.
As one of the coolest memory foam mattresses on the market it is great for hot sleepers as well.
Nectar Sleep Pros
- Adaptive memory foam allows for a more personalized support level
- Cooling layer is great for hot sleepers
- Eco-friendly Tencel top layer is soft and cushiony
- One of the most affordable options on the market
- Nectar offers a 365-night free trial, free shipping and forever warranty allowing you to make sure the bed is just right for you.
- CertiPUR-US certified for no harmful chemicals or gasses.
Nectar Sleep Cons
- Some people feel that this medium firm mattress is not firm enough for their tastes or needs.
- Some complaints about poor customer support.
- No replacement covers available for purchase,
Best For Side Sleepers: Nolah Original
Side sleepers (which is 63% of us apparently) need to be aware of the fact that a mattress that does not support their shoulder and hips, especially if they tend to only sleep on one side, can cause waking pain that can ruin their day! The 10″ tall Nolah Original offers a special layer of ‘bouncier’ memory foam that offers extra support to those pressure point areas, something your body will thank you for in the morning! The Original AirFoam™ mattress has perfect medium firmness and made of 3 layers of comfort.
It’s also great for couples because it absorbs movement and bounce particularly well. The tencel top layer offers a cloud like sleeping experience and the cooling layer of memory foam helps regulate sleeping temperatures and keep you comfortable all night long.
- Certipur-US® foam certified with no ozone depleters, PBDEs, TDCPP, mercury or lead.
- Offers great pressure point relief for side sleepers.
- Risk-free 120 nights trial sleep, free shipping & returns, lifetime warranty.
- 100% made in the USA
- A more expensive choice than some of the other options on this list.
- Some people found that this mattress was not quite firm enough for their personal taste.
Best Budget Pick: DreamFoam Chill Memory Foam
Not everyone can – or want to – spend up to $1,000 or more on a new mattress, and for those folks a budget choice like the Chill Memory Foam mattress may be ideal, as it offers support and comfort at a more affordable price. It comes with a stain-resistant fabric and it’s made up of high quality layer of cooling gel memory foam particularly effective for hot sleepers. The Chill is available in 6″, 8″, 10″, 12″ and 14″ depths.
The Chill Pros:
- Multilayer memory foam construction offers good support and some cooling.
- Available in a variety of mattress depths so that you can match your bed base and personal preferences.
- One of the most affordable choices available.
- Made in the USA, has a 10-year warranty and a generous 120-night risk free trial.
The Chill Cons:
- May not offer enough support for those with chronic pain conditions.
- Some people feel the mattress sleeps a little hot.
Best Hybrid Spring and Memory Foam: Layla Hybrid Mattress
Some people prefer the firm, edge to edge support an innerspring mattress offers, but when springs are combined with layers of memory foam, as is the case for the Layla Hybrid Mattress the sleeping experience gets even better.
Layla Hybrid Mattress Pros
- Excellent durability and edge to edge support.
- More give and ‘bounce’ than a standard innerspring mattress.
- Sleeps cool in all seasons.
- Offers a medium firm feel that suits most people.
- Free shipping, 120-night money back guarantee, 10 year warranty, made in the USA.
Layla Hybrid Mattress Cons
- One of the more expensive options on this list.
Best Firm Memory Foam Mattress: Bear Original
Some people need – or prefer – a firmer mattress, especially those who suffer from chronic back pain. This graphite-gel memory foam mattress from Bear offers this, along with excellent breathability and cooling and is a favorite with athletes who need the best, most restorative sleep possible. This firm queen-sized memory foam mattress features a breathable cover, a cooling graphite-gel memory foam, followed by a responsive transition foam and a high density support foam layer.
Bear Original Pros
- Firmer than many of the queen mattress choices available today
- A patented Celliant® technology fiber used in the mattress is said to help promote quicker recovery after physical exercise.
- A soft topper helps add extra comfort.
- Great choice mattress for back pain.
- Free shipping and returns, 100-night risk free trial, 10-year warranty.
Bear Original Cons
- May be too firm for some.
- Not an inexpensive choice.
Choosing the Best Queen-Sized Memory Foam Beds
Thanks for checking out our guide to the best queen-sized memory foam mattresses on the market. The choices on our list are some excellent ones, but they are far from your only options. However, before you make a final choice you should keep the following tips in mind when shopping for ANY queen memory foam mattress:
Free Nights Trial Offers
It is almost impossible to decide if a mattress is going to suit you based on images seen on a website, or even on a five-minute lie down in a mattress store. Mattresses that come with a free night’s trial offer allow you to try out the bed in your home, actually sleep on it for a while and really figure out if it is right for you. All the mattresses on our list do offer these trials.
One of the biggest reasons people choose to upgrade their queen mattress is because their old bed no longer offers the support they need, making the firmness of a new one a big consideration!
In the past, memory foam had a reputation for sleeping hot, and there really is little worse than waking up hot and sticky or feeling like you are sleeping in a swamp (which has been a complaint about some memory foam mattresses) An increasing number of higher quality memory foam mattresses feature specialist fibers – or even a special cooling layer – to help prevent this.
Everyone wants to sleep in comfort. Look for a queen memory foam mattress that features a softer top layer if you want to help ensure you get that cushiony, comfortable feeling most people are looking for.
Everyone has a preferred sleeping position. It is an unconscious preference that is usually extremely hard to change even if you try. Matching the mattress, you choose to your personal sleep style is another way to help ensure that it is the right choice for you.
Pressure Point and Back Pain Relief
For those who suffer from chronic pain – especially back pain – the wrong mattress can make the problem even worse. But the right mattress, on the other hand, can provide welcome pain relief and prevent jarring morning pain when you wake.