A sofa bed can be a tremendous help when you need to add extra sleeping space quickly, efficiently, and affordably to your home, office or even dorm room. As helpful as they can be though sofa beds are often not the most comfortable – or supportive – beds to sleep on, which can significantly decrease the occupant’s quality of sleep. Adding one of the best mattress toppers for sofa beds can change that though.
In general, mattress toppers are designed to add between two and five inches of extra comfort and support to your bed. As sofa beds often have thinner, far less supportive mattresses than a standard bed the addition of one of these handy – and often very affordable – bedding items is a plus.
Finding just the right mattress topper for your sofa bed may prove to be something of a challenge though, especially if it is oddly sized. To help you shop for the right choice for you successfully we put together this roundup of the sofa beds mattress topper reviews.
#1 Best for Pain-Relief: Lift by Amerisleep™ Mattress Topper
If you suffer from chronic pain trying to sleep on a sofa bed, even for a single night, can be a nightmare! Adding a great mattress topper than is designed to help relieve pressure points and provide extra support can be a tremendous help though.
offers all that and more, thanks to a patented pressure relieving memory foam layer that provides both the extra support those who suffer from back, hip or knee pain need along with an extra inch of sleeping comfort.
- Offers excellent pressure point relief
- Cool sleeping foam will help your guests stay cool
- Exceptionally durable when compared to many other memory foam mattress toppers
- May be more of an investment than you want to make for a rarely used sofa bed
- At three inches may be too thick for use with some sofa beds
#2 Best Feather Topper: PureDown
Feather beds simply scream luxury, so if you addto your sofa bed your guests will be seriously impressed, as well as a lot more comfortable!
Available in full, twin and queen sizes this mattress topper is filled with soft, fluffy goose down that offers both a surprising amount of support and comfort.
- As this is a very flexible topper it can be ‘molded’ to fit your sofa bed easily in most cases.
- Helps to rejuvenate a sagging sofa bed mattress and offer extra support
- Offers extra luxury to anyone making use of your sofa bed.
- Not vegan friendly
- Mattress topper is dry-clean only and does not feature a removable cover.
- May be more of an extra expense than some people want to take on.
#3 Sofa Bed Support: Sleeper Sofa Bed Shield
is designed to be placed underneath a sofa bed mattress to help bolster a sagging sofa bed mattress and cover the metal slats that many sofa beds are constructed with, which can be extremely uncomfortable to sleep on. While there is no extra foam, feathers, or other filling to add extra loft this is a quick way to make a sofa bed a little more comfortable in a matter of minutes.
- Quick and easy to add to almost any sleeper sofa
- Easy to store on a shelf or in a storage cupboard when not in use
- Very affordable
- Provides more comfort than a plywood bed base
- Does not really add extra noticeable comfort, although will improve mattress support
#4 Moisture-Wicking: DreamFoam 2″ Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper
Waking up in a puddle of sweat because a sofa bed mattress sleeps hot is not a sleeping experience anyone would wish on their guests. This
that makes up this versatile mattress is cooling and supportive and will help ensure your guests stay cool and comfortable every time they head to bed.
- Excellent cooling and moisture wicking properties
- Exceptionally durable
- Memory foam offers good extra support
- A very affordable way to add extra support and comfort to your guests sleeping experience
- At 2″ thick this mattress topper may be too thick and too rigid for use with some sofa beds
#5 Best Quilted Mattress Pad: Masvis Quilted Mattress Pad
Sofa mattresses can be hard and unforgiving, but
helps to change that. It features a vegan friendly down alternative that feels incredibly soft and yet adds great support to almost any sofa bed. Perhaps best of all is that it can be laundered and even tumble fried at home, making it super easy to care for.
- Adds a lot of extra sleeping comfort to even the hardest sofa bed mattress
- Vegan friendly and hypoallergenic alternative to real down and feathers
- Adds over an inch of sleeping support
- Can be machine washed and tumble dried at home
- May not fit some sofa beds that make use of larger mattresses
How to Choose the Perfect Mattress Topper for Sofa Beds
How do you choose the best mattress topper for a sleeper sofa in your living room? Here are some basics to keep in mind as you shop whatever model you eventually opt to buy:
You can find mattress toppers that range in thickness from an inch to up to four inches. A thicker mattress topper can be a problem when used on a sofa bed though as it may be so thick the bed will not fold up with it in place.
If you do not mind storing it when it is not in use that is less of a problem, but if you want a mattress topper you can keep in place try to look for one that is an inch to an inch and a half thick.
As you can see from our top picks for the best mattress topper for a pull-out couch or sofa bed, they are available in a wide variety of materials. A feather bed can be an excellent choice – although real feathers may offend some – and a memory foam mattress topper offers great durability. Quilted mattress toppers are usually soft and fluffy but look for one that is easy to clean, as dry cleaning a mattress topper can be expensive!
If you opt for a thicker mattress topper for your sofa bed you will have to find somewhere to store it when it is not in use, something that might be quite a challenge in a smaller home.
A cooling mattress topper is a terrific way to help ensure anyone who uses your pull-out couch to sleep on enjoys a cool comfortable night’s sleep and does not wake up a hot mess!
If your sofa bed is only used occasionally investing a few hundred dollars in a mattress topper may not offer a great return on your investment. If it is used often however a higher quality mattress topper that costs a little more will pay for itself quickly.
You Might Also Like: