A mattress pad or topper lies directly on top of your mattress adding a couple of inches of comfort and extra support. Not only that but a mattress topper also provides a layer of protection to your mattress. These factors can play an important role in supporting your sleep habits and ensuring you have the best environment for sleeping.
If you’re overheating in bed or your mattress isn’t supporting you as it should, take a look at these four cooling mattress toppers and see if they might be able to help.
- Best Overall: Advanced Sleep Solutions
- Best Breathable: Exceptional Sheets
- Best For Pressure Points: Red Nomad
- Best Waterproof Protector: Coop Home Goods
Why Use a Mattress Topper?
Like the name suggests, cooling mattress pads or toppers provide an extra layer of padding to your mattress and are a beneficial addition to your sleeping environment.
That layer of padding can save your mattress from the nasty things that somehow always gets on beds (including bed bugs, sweat, and spills) or it can provide the necessary comfort your body needs to get a good night’s rest by adapting to your body temperature and provide cooling.
By providing that protection, mattress pads allow your mattress to survive a little longer and the cooling technology will help promote sleep and allow you to wake up refreshed and ready to take on a new day.
Which Cooling Mattress Pad is Right for Me?
A mattress pad isn’t a luxury; it’s a necessity. A mattress topper lies on top of the bed under your bedding.
Selecting a mattress pad that is right for you depends on a number of factors (material, depth, and fit), but it all depends on your current sleeping experience and ideal sleeping experience.
For your current sleeping experience, you need to consider your bed’s size, depth, and comfort. The easiest part of finding a mattress pad is choosing the size. Because mattress pads come in every bed size, just match your bed size to the appropriately sized mattress pad.
With options including memory foam pads, highloft pads, fiber toppers, and gel pads, it’s easy to be more comfortable during the night.
Memory foam are among the most common and provide between one and four inches of cushioning. These generally conform to your body shape and remain temperature sensitive.
The best cooling mattress pad will help promote sleep by keeping you cool at night and provide cushionable comfort. Pads that are CertiPUR certified foam toppers can be trusted since they have passed meaningful quality assurance safety measures and can assist in helping you sleep comfortably.
Waterproof and hypoallergenic cooling mattress toppers provide many other health benefits besides preventing sweats at night and hot flashes, keeping the moisture out and preventing your mattress topper from yellowing.
All of the properties usually found in memory foam can also be found in gel mattress toppers. The advantage though are the cooling gel beads. When bonded with the memory foam these allow for better airflow which normalizes the temperature of the mattress pad while you sleep.
Depth could be a little more difficult to figure out. Mattress pads come in standard depth of 1 -2 inches thick or with deep and extra deep depth of 3-4+ inches thick.
Depth is important to consider if you’re looking to improve and support your back and neck and reduce pressure points.
Mattress pads with deep or extra deep padding can sometimes offer double the padding of a standard mattress pad. That’s fine if you want a mattress that makes you feel like you’re sleeping on a high cloud!
Another factor is fit. One side benefit of most mattress pads is that they keep things like sheets and covers in place. Mattress pads do this with the use of elastic bands, fitted sheets, or wraps. Of these three options, elastic bands are the least secure while fitted sheets are the most secure.
Lastly, consider your ideal sleeping experience. Do you want a mattress that doesn’t get stains and remains clean? Consider a mattress protector like the mattress protector from Coop Home Goods, mentioned below. If you are more focused on comfort, you might choose a gel or memory foam mattress pad which provides an even distribution of cushioning. This even distribution ensures that you have the same amount of cushioning wherever you toss and turn on the mattress.
Using a mattress pad, you can add support to an old mattress disguising any imperfections or protect a new mattress from getting any spills on it and prevent bacteria, mildew or mold. Yuck!
That’s not all a mattress pad can do, however. Check out the four examples below to see what else a mattress pad can do.
Best Cooling Mattress Toppers and Pads Reviews
1. Advanced Sleep Solutions Gel Memory Foam Topper
If you’re looking for the best cooling mattress pad to help keep you cool at night or can’t afford a new mattress or your old mattress is lacking the necessary support, the Gel Memory Foam Topper is for you.
This 2-inch thick mattress pad uses a CertiPUR-US® Certified gel memory foam to cushion your body every single time you lay down. In addition to cushioning your body, the cells in the memory foam topper also help keep your body cool.
The main difference between this pad and traditional toppers is that the latter will hold body heat whereas the gel technology in this cooling pad will help dissipate body heat yet maintain that equilibrium of warmth and cool comfort to provide for a cooling and comfortable sleeping experience.
- Unique memory foam: Able to cushion entire body and increase coolness
- Eco-friendly product: No products that are harmful to the environment or your body (like flame retardant) were used in this product
- Gel memory foam focused on keeping cool: Gel memory foam can retain heat but gel in this product stops heat accumulation
- Pressure relieving: With a 3.3 lb. density design this gel foam topper can relieve soreness from joints, it is firm enough so you are well supported but soft enough to mold to your body shape and provide the necessary relief to all pressure points.
2. Exceptional Sheets Rayon From Bamboo Mattress Pad with Fitted Skirt
If you’re not quite ready for gel in your mattress pad, you might consider bamboo. With this five star-hotel extra plush cooling topper, you get a mattress pad that is perfectly designed to fit your queen-sized (or other sized) bed.
You also get a mattress pad perfectly designed to help you sleep better. The mattress pad has a top layer of breathable fabric (rayon from bamboo) that keeps your bed comfortably cool along with a bottom layer of polyester and cotton. This combination of fabrics will keep the right kind of air (cool air) in and the heat out.
You also find something else, Revoloft. Revoloft is a revolutionary new fiber product used in various products, like bed. It feels as light as a feather (aka down) to the touch without having the drawback of causing allergies.
Due to how thin it is (about an inch thick), we recommend this topper to those who already have a thick mattress or who are relatively light. You may have difficulty getting the support you need or to fully change the characteristics of your mattress if you are on the heavier side.
- Hypoallergenic: Able to cushion entire body and increase coolness
- RevoLoft cluster fiber: Fiber that feels like down (No need for actual feathers!) and makes the made incredibly comfortable
- Machine washable: Use cold and gentle water cycle
3. Red Nomad Memory Foam Mattress Pad
If you need even more support than the 2-inch support provided by the Gel Memory Foam Topper, then you can get one more inch of support with Red Nomad’s Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Topper. This mattress pad features 3 inches of elastic memory foam designed to stretch and bend with you on the bed.
This pad conforms to your hips, head, back, shoulders, and neck to provide pressure point relief and spinal alignment to ensure a quality night’s sleep.
This memory foam topper works very similar to the gel you might find in the Gel Memory Foam Topper mentioned above. Gel memory foam is actually created with Visco Elastic memory fuel, a technology invented by NASA in the 1970’s. Both gel and memory cushion your body and provide ways to keep your body cool.
We would recommend this topper to those of you who have an extra firm mattress and are looking for more softness as it is dense enough that it can change the characteristics of your existing mattress.
- Visco Electric memory foam: Based on NASA technology designed to provide comfort for astronauts
- Cool Cycle Polymer design: Extra source of cooling protection that keeps hot air out, so no more sweaty nights.
- Guaranteed Fit Promise: Mattress pad specifically measured to fit any mattress within a certain size (king, queen, etc.)
4. Coop Home Goods Ultra Luxe Waterproof Protector
If you are looking for a mattress pad that will protect your mattress from spills, wastes, and other leaks, this mattress pad from Coop Home Goods is probably your best choice. This mattress protector was designed with material created out of bamboo. This feature, along with the Cooling LULLTRA™ fabric makes it easier to keep in the cool air.
The waterproof membrane feature allows for airflow while you rest and the band expands to fit mattresses up to 18 inches deep.
The Ultra Luxe Mattress Protector might be a good recommendation for those who suffer from allergies. The mattress pad isn’t made with items that cause allergies. It can also serve as a layer of allergy-catching protection between your mattress and you.
- Waterproof & perspiration resistant: Keep spills and sweat off your mattress
- Cool Cycle Polymer design: Additional source of cooling protection that keeps hot air out
- Guaranteed fit promise: Mattress pad specifically measured to fit any mattress within a certain size (king, queen, etc.)
- Hypoallergenic barrier: The mattress pad protects your mattress against bacteria, allergens, dust mites, pet dander and mold.
- Noiseless Mattress Pad: The Lulltra™ fabric prevents the cheap plasticky sound you often hear with other mattress pads.
- Machine Washable (cold gentle cycle) and Tumble Dry (low)
- 30 day risk free trial and 15 year warranty
Stay cool through the night and get a better nights sleep with one of the cooling mattress pads reviewed above.
Whatever you decide, your goal with a cooling mattress topper should be to reach your ideal bed. If your bed could use some extra support, a mattress pad might be just the thing to help you achieve that.
Of course, for the ultimate cool sleeping experience also check out our top 5 best cooling pillow reviews and replace your traditional heat-retaining pillow.